Sunday, September 24, 2006

Would You Rather Be a Man Or a Woman?

"If you had a real choice of being either one, would you rather be a man or a woman?" he asked me.

"In this place and time?"

"Yes, here, today."

"A woman, absolutely.  I have the best of everything," I answered.

He nodded, and looked satisfied.

"But what about you?" I asked him.  "Which would you prefer?"

"I'd rather be a man," he said.  But he wasn't enthusiastic about it.  He was resigned.

"I don't envy men," I replied.  "You have a lot of pressure to perform and not a lot of appreciation for it.  Seems kinda rough."

"Yeah, well, that's the way it is," he shrugged.



The mission of manhood compels his dedication, drawing up his honor and courage to be noble and good.   But something else ~ a corruption, a myth ~ devastates him, saps his strength, bows his head.

No comments: